By William J. Des Rochers, Fluvanna Field Officer
Fluvanna new Board of Supervisors got off to a quick start on January 6th. The Board, which has two new members, tasked staff with obtaining more financial information, set up a budget work session, suggested that resolution of the James River Water Authority controversy would be near, and made numerous Board appointments.
No sooner had the Board elected Gene Ott (Rivanna) Chairman – and rookie Shawn Kenney (Columbia) Vice-Chairman, than Mr. Ott outlined his plans. He noted his dissatisfaction with the paucity of background data needed to make financial decisions. He was particularly concerned that revenue estimates and state transfer projections be made available for the budget process.
Both Board newcomers, Kenney and Joe Chesser (Rivanna) echoed these sentiments, as did veteran Don Weaver (Cunningham). Returning incumbents Mozell Booker (Fork Union) and John Gooch (Palmyra) were subdued through much of the meeting; their two former allies Marvin Moss (Columbia) and Charles Allbaugh (Rivanna) no longer serve on the Board.
Supervisors indicated that they want to move quickly to resolve issues surrounding the Fluvanna-Louisa joint James River Water Authority, a source of controversy in the county since it was established last year. Reportedly, Louisa’s supervisors are impatient with Fluvanna’s foot dragging on the water line and have set a deadline for an agreement.
The Board set a work session for January 23rd to review the Authority and plans to invite Aqua Virginia to the table to explore a joint public-private sector partnership – something Louisa county strongly opposed in the past.
Board members also made the following supervisor appointments:
- Affordable Housing Task Force: Booker, Kenney
- Agricultural/Forestal Advisory Committee: Weaver
- Audit Committee: Ott
- Central Virginia Regional Jail Board: Weaver
- Community Policy Management Team: Ott
- Court Green Committee: Gooch
- Economic Development Commission: Chesser
- Emergency Services Director: Ott
- Fluvanna Transportation Safety Commission: Chesser, Ott
- Fork Union Sanitary District Advisory Committee: Booker
- Landfill Advisory Committee: Weaver
- Palmyra Wastewater Committee: Ott, Gooch
- Parks and Recreation Board: Booker
- Piedmont Workforce Council: Kenney
- Planning Commission: Chesser
- Rivanna River Basin Commission: Chesser, Gooch
- Social Services Board: Booker
- T. J. Area Community Criminal Justice Board: Kenney
- T. J. Planning District Commission: Chesser
- Va. Association of Counties Legislative Contact: Ott
- Water Committee: Gooch, Ott
Perhaps as a sign of the times, at the end of the meeting Sheriff Ryant Washington requested that the Board contact the county’s Washington delegation to oppose a measure under consideration that would require localities to negotiate labor contracts with law enforcement officers.